Use the below search options at the bottom of the page to find information regarding recent decisions that have been taken by the council’s decision making bodies.
Alternatively you can visit the officer decisions page for information on officer delegated decisions that have been taken by council officers.
To consider consultation responses on a review
of the taxi licensing policy and adopt the amended
Decision Maker: Licensing Committee
Made at meeting: 20/11/2019 - Licensing Committee
Decision published: 22/11/2019
Effective from: 20/11/2019
The Principal Licensing Officer reported on the comments received following a four week consultation period on the revised hackney carriage and private hire Licensing Policy. He detailed the responses to each comment, as set out in the report.
The Committee noted that grandfather rights in respect of tinted windows would be given to owners of vehicles already licensed with Spelthorne Borough Council for the remainder of their licensable tenure. The proposed conditions in relation to tinted windows, as detailed at Paragraph 6.5 of the revised Policy, would only apply to newly licensed vehicles from September 2019. The Committee discussed whether to require the removal of adhesive tint for existing vehicles and noted that it was easy to achieve and at a low cost. On balance the Committee decided that for the promotion of public safety, drivers should be required to remove adhesive window tinting from existing licensed vehicles within 6 months of the Policy coming into effect.
The Committee considered the comments received from the Licensing Team Leader at Guildford Borough Council set out at Paragraph 10 of the report. The Committee agreed to:
· Delay the proposal to require drivers to undertake equalities training until the final government guidance is published;
· Retain the age limit for licensable vehicles at 10 years as per the current Policy; and
· Include additional wording at Paragraph 2.10 of the Policy, that PH Operators are required to keep a register of all staff (Controllers) taking bookings and have regard to the same Surrey-wide convictions policy as the Council when employing staff.
Resolved to approve the revised Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy as attached at Appendix A to the agenda, subject to:
1. The inclusion of a requirement to remove adhesive window tinting from existing licensed vehicles within 6 months of the Policy coming into effect and
2. The inclusion of additional wording at Paragraph 2.10 of the Policy, that PH Operators are required to keep a register of all staff (Controllers) taking bookings and have regard to the same Surrey-wide convictions policy as the Council when employing staff.
Lead officer: Robert Thomas