Report to follow
Council considered a report that sought approval to include the Grant Funding Panel and the associated Terms of Reference within the Council’s Constitution.
Council resolved to:
1. Approve the inclusion of the Grants Panel with the Terms of Reference as agreed by the Community Wellbeing and Housing Committee in the Council’s Constitution,
2. Approve delegated authority be given to the Chief Executive in consultation with the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Community Wellbeing and Housing Committee to agree the names of those members on the Grants Panel; and
3. Approve that the Chair and Vice-Chair be authorised to nominate a substitute from the panel to cover for them in their absence.
To consider the establishment of the Grants Panel and make a recommendation to council in relation to the Grants Panel Terms of Reference.
The Committee considered a report from the Community Development Manager on the Grant Funding Panel Terms of Reference. Members were informed that adoption of the new terms of reference would need to be incorporated into the Constitution as this was an outstanding item when the Committee system was introduced. This would also enable the 2023/24 grants process to begin. It was recommended that the Terms of Reference referred to in Option one be adopted as this would allow for representatives from several Committees and political groups.
Members raised concern regarding membership of the panel; they agreed that only Community Wellbeing and Housing Committee members should form the composition of this panel due to holding expertise relevant to this area. Members also expressed concern for members of the panel who could not subsequently vote at Committee to determine the grants.
The Committee debated all three options set out in the report and explored alternative options such as abolishing the Grants Panel, instead allowing the Committee members to direct the Grants process. The Committee ultimately agreed that the quickest and most streamlined option was favourable.
The Committee resolved to approve the establishment of the Grants Panel for 2023/2024 in order that the Grants Panel process can begin and resolved to recommend option three to Council with the following amendment:
“The Chair and Deputy Chair to nominate a substitute to cover for the eventuality that there is an absence”.
The Committee also resolved to make the following recommendations to Council:
1) Approve revised Terms of Reference for the Grants Panel
2) Delegate authority to the Chief Executive in consultation with the Chair and Vice Chair of this Committee to agree the names of those members on the Grants Pane
3) Recommend the inclusion of the Grants Panel Terms of Reference in the Constitution