Venue: Goddard Room, Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames
Contact: Gillian Scott Email: email@example.com
Disclosures of Interest
To receive any disclosures of interest from councillors in accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct for members.
There were none.
To move the exclusion of the Press/Public for the following item, in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, as amended by the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 and by the Local Government (Access to information) (Variation) Order 2006.
Resolved to move the exclusion of the Press and Public for the following item in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, as amended by the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 and by the Local Government (Access to information) (Variation) Order 2006.
Exempt report - Investment acquisition W - Key decision
To consider the acquisition of the development and investment asset identified in the report.
Reason for exemption
This report contains exempt information within the meaning of paragraph of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amendedby the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 and by the Local Government (Access to information) (Variation) Order 2006):
This in turn prejudices the Council by (i) distorting the bids process and (ii) prejudicing the opportunity for the Council to acquire a site through the Council for the prudent management of its financial affairs.in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information because, disclosure to the public would prejudice the financial position of the authority in the bidding process for the site by allowing other bidders to know the position of the Council.
Cabinet considered an exempt report on an opportunity to acquire a strategic asset with a steady income stream in the short term and the opportunity to generate greater income streams for the Council in the future.
The Asset Manager gave a presentation on the proposal setting out the rationale for acquisition, the costs involved, due diligence process and the business plan for the asset.
Alternative options considered and rejected by the Cabinet:
· Not to submit a bid for the asset.
1. Approve the acquisition of the investment asset identified in this report;
2. Formally agree the offer submitted, and authorise the Chief Executive to undertake any necessary subsequent negotiations (including a further bid if required) and complete the acquisition of the asset (in consultation with the Chief Finance Officer, the Leader and the Cabinet Member for Finance);
3. Authorise the Chief Finance Officer to decide (i) the most financially advantageous funding arrangements for the purchase, (ii) the most tax efficient method of holding the asset, and overall to ensure the acquisition is prudentially affordable;
4. Authorise the Head of Corporate Governance to enter into any legal documentation necessary to acquire the asset;
5. Agree to exempt Contract Standing Orders in respect of our advisors.
Reasons for Decision
1. It will bring in a steady income stream for the short term which will assist in the future ongoing financial stability of the Council.
2. The acquisition will provide a strategic asset for further potential housing development in the long term.
3. It will assist the council in driving regeneration of an area of the borough in the medium term and provide the opportunity for generation of greater income streams for the Council in the future.