Agenda and minutes

Development Sub-Committee - Monday, 17 October 2022 11.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber, Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 1XB

Contact: Karen Wyeth  Email:

Link: Members of the public may hear the proceedings by tuning into the Council's Youtube channel

No. Item


Apologies for absence & Substitutions

To receive any apologies for non-attendance and details of Member substitutions.


Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Gibson. H Harvey, I Harvey and Siva.



To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 03 October 2022.

Additional documents:


The minutes of the meeting held on 03 October 2022 were agreed as a correct record of proceedings.


Disclosures of Interest

To receive any disclosures of interest from members in accordance with the Members’ Code of Conduct.



Councillor Sexton advised that she was a Surrey County Councillor.




Questions from members of the Public

The Chair, or his nominee, to answer any questions raised by members of the public in accordance with Standing Order 40.


At the time of publication of this agenda no questions were received.



There were none.


Ward Issues

To consider any issues raised by ward councillors in accordance with Standing Order 34.2


At the time of publication of this agenda no ward issues were received.



There were none.


Urgent Actions

To consider any urgent action that have arisen since last meeting.


There were none.


Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 31 KB

The Committee are asked to note the Forward Plan for Development Sub-Committee business.



The Committee resolved to agree the Forward Plan.


Exclusion of Public and Press (Exempt Business)

To move the exclusion of the Press/Public for the following items, in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, as amended by the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 and by the Local Government (Access to information) (Variation) Order 2006.


It was proposed by Councillor Noble, Seconded by Councillor Buttar and resolved that the public and press be excluded during consideration of the following items, in accordance with paragraph 3 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended) because it was likely to disclose information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information) and in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information because, disclosure to the public would prejudice the financial position of the authority in being able to undertake even-handed negotiations and finalising acceptable contract terms.



Elmsleigh Centre Business Plan

Report to follow.


The Committee considered a report from the Asset Manager that outlined the Annual Business Plan for The Elmsleigh Centre.


The Committee resolved to note the Elmsleigh Centre Business Plan.


BP Campus - Annual Business Plan

Report to follow.


The Committee resolved to defer this item to the meeting of the Development Sub-Committee on 31 October 2022.


Letting - Matalan, unit 21/23 Elmsleigh Centre


The Committee considered a report that sought approval of new lease terms for Matalan who currently occupied Unit 21/22/23 Elmsleigh Centre, Staines-upon-Thames.


The Committee resolved to:


1.    approve the proposed new lease terms as soon as possible,

2.    authorise the Chief Executive and Property Manger to undertake any necessary subsequent negotiations and complete the grant of the new lease (in consultation with the Chief Finance Officer and Chair of the Development Sub-Committee); and

3.    authorise the Group Head of Corporate Governance to enter into legal documentation to grant the new lease.


Refurbishment of the Rill in Memorial Gardens, Staines-upon-Thames

Report to follow.


The Committee agreed to consider this item within the public section of the meeting as there was no exempt information contained within the report.


The report was from the Property Manager and Senior Building Manager and  sought a decision on the options outlined in the report for the defunct Rill footprint, Memorial Gardens. This item had been deferred from a meeting of the committee held on 22 August 2022 when committee members had requested further costings for each option and confirmation as to whether the Rill had been created to commemorate the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Further costings had been added to the report and it was advised that no evidence could be found linking the Rill to Diana, Princess of Wales.


The four options were considered by the Committee and concerns were raised about the planting of trees at either end of the Rill due to the roots potentially causing damage to the surrounding hard landscaping in the future. Concerns were also expressed about vandalism and queried whether the costings within the report took into account the potential need to replace shrubs if they were pulled up due to anti-social behaviour. The Property Manager advised that replacement of shrubs would be covered by the ongoing maintenance budget for Neighbourhood Services. The Committee requested that under Option 4 the reference to the planting of trees was removed and that if this option was agreed it would only be shrubs and lavender that would be planted.


The Committee voted on each option separately:


Option 1 – 0 votes

Option 2 – 1 vote

Option 3 – 0 votes

Option 4 – 6 votes



The Committee resolved to approve Option 4 as amended by the Committee:


‘Shrubs and lavender should be planted taking into consideration suitability for the location. Any new planting of shrubs would be in consultation with the Council’s Sustainability and Biodiversity Officers and any shrubs used would be low maintenance and at low cost. *The existing underground plant room would be decommissioned and filled in [*amended by Development Sub Committee at meeting on 31/10/22].